Friday, June 8, 2012

Oh, so that's how Twitter works...

My newest education/technology/science/teacher obsession is Twitter.  I announced a few days ago that I had finally joined the social networking site and that I was still trying to figure out its role in my online networking.  My realization over the past few weeks has been this:  Facebook is for keeping up with people you know, Twitter is for keeping up with people you don't.

Since joining Twitter, I have found dozens of like-minded educators that are just looking to learn and share.  I have been exhilarated to see my posts retweeted by NPR's Fresh Air and Science WoRx.  I have even had a few shout-outs from educators all over the country who are discovering me amongst the hashtags and checking out this blog. 

If you are a teacher blogger or if you are just looking to gather new ideas, it is really worthwhile to hop onto Twitter and connect with some educators.  Just to share my enthusiasm, I thought I would post some hashtag and handle shout-outs for anyone interested, as well as some of my gloriously exciting retweets: 

A warm welcome from Science WoRx, an online resource for science education:


It was a little silly how excited I was when this happened:


Some awesome Twitter users to follow:

@nprfreshair  (NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross)
@scienceworx  (website for teachers to connect with real scientists)
@edtweeps (a feed about educational technology)
@ScienceChannel (a feed for cable TV channel)
@21stCenturyTch (online community for 21st century tech educators)
@daveandcori (a feed by educational technology blogger David Andrade)
@edutopia (website dedicated to teachers and "what works in education")
@WoodlyndeSpence (me!!)

Some handy hashtags to check out:

#edtech (educational technology)
#teachers (no explanation needed...)
#flipclass (posts related to flipped classroom teaching)
#summerreading (see what other teachers are reading this summer)
#edchat (teachers who chat through Twitter on a regular basis)
#PAISTechies (new hashtag we created for our upcoming PAIS Tech Boot Camp)
#iste12 (International Society for Technology in Education; their big conference in San Diego is right around the corner, so they have been posting quite a bit lately)

Get out there and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Have you started organizing those you follow into lists yet? How about Tweetdeck or a similar tool for organizing all those tweets? If not, then we'll have to take a look at that next week!

    ReplyDelete